2018 PEN Conference - Activity 1
In preparation for the conference we are developing and compiling popular education materials around this theme. We encourage particularly community groupings to explore the topic using / adapting some of these ideas.
If you have an activity / process that works well and that you would like to share with others, please send it to us! (Pen2018@populareducation.org.za )
Please also send us feed-back on our suggestions â€“ it can only make our practice more useful!
An exercise to begin exploring â€˜powerâ€™
Participants can do this on their own, or in a group.
Below are some suggestions for a facilitated process.
- Show the picture by Pawel Kuczynski
Ask participants to study the picture, individually, and make notes, if necessary.
- Ask: What do you see in this picture?
Get a detailed description without analysis and evaluation!). Combine inputs from various from participants to create a collective â€˜imageâ€™.
- Point out that this picture depicts many different kinds of power.
Ask participants to turn to their neighbours, and in pairs list all the powers they see.
- In plenary, collect all the powers suggested and list them on flipchart
- For each, ask: where does this power come from? Who benefits from it?
- If you were to change the situation in the picture, how could that happen?